We find many people using dietary supplements, inculcating regular exercise, practicing yoga and integrating natural therapies into their daily life as a precautionary measure to keep themselves hale and healthy. These keep them away from doctor’s clinics and reduces medical expenses in the long run. Let us check out more about supplements and their advantages. First, let us understand what supplements are. They are substances that come in different forms like tablets, patches, powders, capsules or liquids to add nutrients to your diet. Nutritional or dietary supplements are added to strengthen or improve your health. They can be easily obtained from any chemist without a prescription from a doctor.
Why Supplements are Helpful?
Ideally, we should get all the nutrients naturally from the food we eat every day. Unfortunately, in today’s world, we fail to get all the vital nutrients naturally. Due to increased pollution and repeated crop cultivation, the fertility of the soil reduces and lowers nutrients present in them. Here are some reasons to include supplements in our daily life:
- Our food source is not as complete as it was once upon a time and our daily dietary requirement of fruits and vegetables has doubled than olden days.
- Supplements naturally improve your immune systemthereby making you less susceptible to illness.
- Supplements are cost-effective and easily obtained.
- It helps to defeat minor and major deficiencies. For example, Vitamin D deficiency caused by the lack of exposure to sunlight and over usage of sunscreen lotions. Most of the children and adults who have meals deficit in fruits and vegetables can be malnourished. Supplements can fight against this condition.
- Protein supplement strengthens muscles for people who perform regular work out regime.
- It helps to maintain hormonal balance in your body.
- Most of the anti-oxidants (Vitamin A, C, and E) are obtained from supplements as we are unable to get 100 percent through natural sources.
- Nutrient deficiencies caused by medication can be effectively restored through supplements.
- Supplements help to manage oxidative stress.
- Supplements can eliminate toxins present in our body. These toxins can be caused by any sources like stress, food toxins, inadequate sleep, etc. Vitamin supplements can support our detox-methylation pathway.
- Supplements are easily absorbed and utilized by our bodies.
The tendency of taking supplements has increased tremendously and is more common mainly for weight loss or fat reduction. Here are some commonly used supplements for weight loss.
- Green Tea Extract
- Garcinia Cambogia Extract
- Raspberry Ketones
- Green Coffee Bean Extract
- Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA)
Among these, Garcinia Cambogia Extract is widely used for weight loss. Hydroxycitric acid, the active ingredient present in Garcinia Cambogia is extracted from the skin of the fruit which inhibits fat-producing enzymes and increases satiety. It is a small pumpkin-like green fruit, and Garcinia Cambogia side effects are rare and there are no serious reports so far. For this reason, it is considered as an effective diet supplement.
It is very beneficial to have dietary supplements as they address most of the deficiencies caused by the lack of vitamins, iron, calcium, potassium, etc in our routine diet. But some of the active ingredients present in most of the supplements can have a strong biological effect on our body. This mainly occurs in situations like taking a combination of different supplements, using medicines along with supplements, substituting supplements for the prescribed medicine and too much intake of supplements. Though these are rare situations, we need to avoid such instances.
Manufacturers of dietary supplements take the utmost care to ensure the safety of their products. They stick to the standards of current manufacturing practices to maintain the quality of production by preventing the chances of any contaminants and toxins in the product. Also, they provide accurate labeling according to the labeling regulations.
Some supplements assure to provide the required vital nutrients that our body demands for proper functioning and others help in reducing the risk of disease. After all, supplements should not replace complete meals which are essential for our health– so, eat a variety of foods along with supplements. It is important to note that the primary functions of food in our body cannot be performed by supplements. Hence before deciding to take supplements, consult an experienced healthcare professional who can help you customizes your personal needs and brings a balance between the foods and nutrients according to your requirement. Remember to take proper care of your body, because you have to live within your body!