Diabetes and feet health are intricately linked. Since the lower legs and feet are prone to several health issues, proper foot care is a must for people with diabetes. Even a small ulcer can lead to amputation if neglected. Hence, people with diabetes should regularly visit their podiatrists and dedicatedly follow a foot care routine, which includes a thorough inspection of their feet daily.
If you have diabetes and are looking for a natural and effective solution to keep your feet healthy, consider copper compression socks. Let’s understand how diabetes affects feet health and why copper compression socks are beneficial.
How Diabetes Affects Feet Health?
Diabetes generally causes two problems that affect the feet health.
- Diabetic Neuropathy– The nerves in your legs and feet are damaged. This makes you lose the sensation of heat, cold or pain. The lack of feeling is called sensory diabetic neuropathy. In this condition, if you get a cut or sore on your foot, you may not feel it and it could get infected and become worse.
- Peripheral Vascular Disease– It affects blood flow and circulation. This is often caused due to a medical condition known as venous insufficiency. The vein walls lose their elasticity and valves of the veins become weak. Normally, the veins pump the blood back towards the heart. However, with weak or damaged vein valves, the blood can flow in both directions. If you get an infection in your feet which fails to heal due to poor blood circulation, an ulcer or gangrene may develop.
What are the Benefits of Copper Compression Socks?
Copper clothing’s copper compression socks are made with copper-infused fabric which offers the following benefits to people with diabetes:
- Protects Against Microbial Infections– Copper compression socks can be one of the best forms of defense against microbial infections in feet. The copper-infused fabric is a natural defense against infection-causing germs. Copper effectively kills harmful bacteria, fungi, viruses and keeps your feet safe and odour-free.
- Reduces Risk of Deep Vein Thrombosis– Copper compression socks are known to enhance blood flow and promote skin health which helps reduce the risk of clotting and DVT or Deep Vein Thrombosis. Copper promotes the development of connective tissue, skin cell and red blood cells which ensures good skin health.
- Enhances Skin Elasticity –Copper is known to boost the production of collagen, elastin and other enzymes which make the skin more strong, flexible and plump. If the skin becomes excessively dry or brittle it may rupture or tear easily even with regular movement. The copper-infused fabric of the copper compression socks can protect the skin from becoming dry or brittle.
- Boosts Production of Skin Cells– Copper compression socks not only fight inflammation but also promote faster healing of skin by boosting the production of skin cells.
- Improves Heat Regulation– Unnaturally cold hands and feet is a common complaint of people with diabetes. It is often due to poor blood circulation in the extremities of hands and feet. Copper compression socks offer great insulation which keeps the lower legs and feet warm as well as encourages blood flow in this part of the body.
The gentle pressure from these socks also helps straighten the walls of the leg veins which improve the function of their valves. This, in turn, improves blood circulation in the lower legs and feet and reduces swelling.
In a nutshell, copper compression socks act as natural, non-chemical and long-lasting germ fighters. They revive tired feet and legs, prevent blood clots in lower legs, boost skin health and muscle strength and ensure that you have happy and healthy feet.
Author Bio: : Rory is the R&D Director and passionate entrepreneur, fascinated by the workings of the human body and natural solutions for common health problems. He’s single-minded in his aim to make Copper Defence a brand that’s recognized across the globe, by partnering with global brands to make these high-tech materials easily accessible for everyone. If you’d like to get in touch, email Rory at Rory@copperclothing.com or visit copperclothing.com for copper-infused clothing, pet accessories and more.